Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Squashing Some Misconceptions about At-Home Workouts

            I titled this post today “Squashing Some Misconceptions” because I think that unless you go out and you learn the information about what it is I do you may have some misconceptions about it, especially about the fitness programs: that they may be super hard and you can't do it, or you don't have the time, or the space. I just want to let you know where I did my workout this morning. I'm at my in-laws house and all you need is like an L-shaped space: that's it. All you need to do is be able to take a few steps up and a few steps to the side. For the dancing workout programs like Country Heat and Cize, an L-shape is all you need. For most of these workout programs you just need to be able to have that bubble around you: if you can put your arms out and twirl in a circle without hitting anything that's all the space you need to workout at home. You don't need fancy equipment, either. Country Heat in particular requires no equipment at all, just my body, and I'm sweating like you wouldn’t believe. So that’s the first misconception: how much space you need.

            The second misconception about working out at home is that you need a ton of time: these workouts are 30 minutes long. That’s not a ton of time in the grand scheme of your day, especially given that in the morning it will really get your blood pumping, digestive system moving, and give you energy. You probably won’t even need your coffee! You can even have the news on in the background and mute the workout on your computer so that you can do the news and your workout at the same time.

            I am two-and-a-half years into my fitness journey, so I have done extreme programs. There are programs, like Country Heat, that are so accessible for anybody. Country Heat has been making me sore: squats and stuff like that are built into the moves. It's very deceptive because you think it's easy just because it's simple. But because it's simple everyone can do it, if you're willing to try. You don't have to get all the way down in your squats or jump huge like some of the people; as long as you're moving and having fun that's all that matters. There's no equipment, just your body. You’re not just standing there and doing squats, push-ups, or burpees; you're just moving and following along to the music and it's so much fun.
             
            I can tell you that I have felt a world of difference in my midsection from this program. I have been more mindful of what I have been eating, I haven't been 100% on the eating plan because let's just face it: I don't like vegetables but I fit them in. I’ve also been more mindful of what I eat if we eat out. For example, last night we drove through McDonald's because we were traveling during dinner time and instead of a double quarter pounder with cheese and chocolate chip frappe that I may have had a couple months ago, Corey and I split the two cheeseburger meal, shared the fries, and I just had water to drink. I know that’s not the same as grilling some salmon with steamed asparagus and olive oil and sweet potatoes on the side…let’s be real, its not. But of the choices I had available, I made a good one. I didn't starve myself and skip dinner I just had a smarter portion of what was available.

            I have lost some weight, I have lost or gained some definition in my midsection which is awesome and if dancing around in my living room for 30 minutes a day can give me a few pounds shred, a few inches lost, and some confidence to rock some new yoga pants…that's a win in my book and that's really what it's all about. This health and fitness journey is about giving you the confidence to know that you're doing something that is better for your body. When you find yourself not craving junk anymore and you find yourself having an apple with your daughter instead of grabbing your secret stash of M&M’s (because let's really be real, most moms have a secret stash to keep away from their kids so they don't have to share), you know you’re on the right track.


            I bought the program because my friends were doing it, so why don't you let some positive peer pressure change your life, too? Really!! My friend was doing fitness programs three years ago and I could have just ignored her, unfollowed her, or got mad that she kept inviting me but instead I was like “You know what? You're my friend; you have my best interest at heart and if you think that I can do this then I'm going to try.”


            And now I'm so glad that I did! So I'm extending an invitation to you! Let me exert some positive peer pressure on you: you need to try a program- I’ll help find one that is the perfect match for you. You need to try it, because what do you have to lose? If half an hour can make a day can make you a healthier person, a happier person, a more confident person, a more patient person…then why haven't you tried it yet?! You know I've been asking you to try it, so let's put the doubt, fear, and excuses away and let me help you. I will be there everyday with you. I promise that if you put in the work, I will not let you fail. Please reach out if you are ready to take that step today!

No comments :

Post a Comment